Pulpitis is an inflammation of the neurovascular bundle – the pulp of the tooth. The diagnosis “pulpitis” implies serious treatment, which takes place in several stages. As a rule, the cause of pulpitis is caries not timely cured. In most cases, pulpitis is characterized by acute paroxysmal pain, which increases at night. The main cause of pulpitis are microbes, as well as their toxins, penetrating the pulp from the carious area of the tooth. The causative agent of pulpitis is streptococcus, in some rare cases, pulpitis can be caused by staphylococci and lactobacilli. Also, the cause of pulpitis can be a tooth injury, such as a breakaway of a part of the crown or a tooth fracture. The number of visits to the dentist depends on many factors, including the complexity of the root canal, and therefore is determined individually for each case and patient. The main factors affecting the treatment of pulpitis are the quality of the cleaning of the canals, the effective treatment with proper medicines and filling.
- Acute spontaneous throbbing pain.
- The pain can spread to the neck, temple, ear, and throat. The pain becomes stronger in the evening and at night, and also in the supine position.
- An external examination of the tooth most often reveals a deep carious cavity.
- Bad breath may occur.
There are several types of pulpitis:
- Gangrenous pulpitis;
- Purulent pulpitis, including acute stage;
- Chronic fibrous pulpitis;
- Serous pulpitis;
- Acute diffuse pulpitis.
Types of pulpitis treatment:
- A conservative or biological method is implemented without removing the nerve. The treatment is aimed at improving the pulp with the restoration of its function. Its use is advisable for traumatic damage to the pulp or for its accidental opening. The emphasis is on its full restoration or preservation of the main functions: protective, trophic and plastic.
- Surgical method. This method consists in partial or complete removal of the dental pulp. Depending on whether the nerve is preliminarily extracted and whether the whole pulp is removed.
Treatment with traditional (home) methods of pulpitis of the tooth is inappropriate in every case – only a dentist can help with this disease. Otherwise, the risk of complete tooth loss and serious inflammatory complications will increase significantly.
Pulpitis prevention The main way to prevent acute and chronic pulpitis is, of course, the treatment of caries in both adults and children, a timely treatment by the dentist.